- What role you would like to play?
- What instance would you like to run?
- How do you want to run it?
I got the idea when I did the Library in Scarlet Monastery recently in a PUG on my warlock. It was a very different experience from running it in 2006 on my druid. I realize heirlooms and skills have changed the game but I don't find much fun in pulling 3-4 groups at once all the time and just going AoE on the place. There was no room for finesse, just mob slaughter with patrols and runners all over and no control, no need for control. Perhaps you're not like me at all but I think it's more fun when you play and need to pay some attention to details. Regardless that our gear was good I would have liked to go a bit slower even though we obviously could destroy the place like we did. It's just a matter of what style I prefer.
My idea for the "What kind of run do you want" could have possible choices like the following (obviously the phrasing needs some polish):
- I don't care about how it's run, I just want to run it.
- I prefer a slower pace and would like to use some cc.
- I'd like a fast run where we nuke and aoe the place, I'm after the loot & badges.
There could be choices for preferences on the social interaction as well.
- Gear score means everything and I'd like lots of abuse in the run.
- I don't care if people talk or not during the run.
- I don't mind rude people as long as the run is smooth and people play well.
- I'd prefer some friendly banter while running the instance.
- I think it's important to be patient and polite.